2.9K views

Air Filter Scam-

I had an oil change done at the Longview,WA 15th ave location in July. While I was waiting there one of the men who works there called me over and showed me my air filter out of my car.

It was black, dirty and broken in half on the side. He said he had one in stock for $39.95 but would drop the price for me today to $29.95. I knew that was a rip off because I always buy them at walmart for around $12. I told him to that same dirty one back into my car and I would buy one elsewhere.

He said no problem. Right after they were done I went to walmart and bought the $12 air filter and brought it home for my husband to replace. My husband showed me the air filter out of my car and asked me where it was broken at? I said that is NOT the one that they showed me at jiffy lube and it was a different color on the outside.

The one I always buy is Tram and it's orange and the one they showed me was black. Also when the guy at Jiffy Lube was showing me my nasty air filter he said, "well this is what you are breathing on the inside of your car when you have the air on". I told my husband this and he explained to me otherwise.

I'm so mad at Jiffy Lube. I will never return there or to any other location again.

Comments

They are still at it in Feb 2018

This girl is retarded. I hate jiffy lube but the tech probably showed you the cabin air filter and your husband just checked the engine air filter. Your car probably has 2 "air filters" one under the hood and one behind the glove box

Houston, Texas, United States #860820

They just did this to my wife here in Houston....

A 20 filter retail.... Life is full of these Bohica tactics..

Bend over here it comes again....

And yes I read all the comments .....

defending these tactics...

However a smart franchise owner might approach their customers a little different. I come from a long line of mechanics going all the way back to Mormon motor cars, Esexx Motor Cars... yes that would be around 1919.... Gouging a repeat customer is never good business...

I think these folks here just lost a customer... Regards,

Wentzville, Missouri, United States #765175

My husband recently had a similar incident. During an oil change they told him he needed a new air filter and cabin air filter which together would cost $80.

That seemed a little high so he bought his own for a total of $12.

When he looked at the old filters in his car the cabin air filter looked on slightly dirty and the air filter not at all.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States #703847

Most vehicles have an additional filter in the dash for the air you breath in the car

Did your husband check that filter ?

Also the cabin filters average about 25 dollars

You might have been to quick to judge

to Anonymous Wentzville, Missouri, United States #765176

Go online and you can find those filters very cheap and they are super easy to install. Even I, a 63 year old woman with no mechanical experience, can install one and have for years.

Don't overpay at Jiffy Lube (or elsewhere, for that matter).

Plano, Texas, United States #686603

First, he was talking about your AIR CABIN FILTER, and you're talking about your ENGINE'S AIR FILTER (you meant FRAM). Two different things.

San Diego, California, United States #604236

I have receipts for three invoices telling me I needed a new air filter. The fourth time I bought one and waited for the guy to come over with the black air filter to sell.

He did and I gave him the box with the new one. Low and behold he comes back and says my filter is fine and in fact it is the factory blue seal still intact. The receipts I hold show that they recommeded a new one and customer declined.

I knew they just carried around some black used air filter saying to all it was cars owerers filter. Scam.

San Diego, California, United States #593578

Well you see that's because he showed you your cabin air filter, not the air filter to your engine. So yes you do breath that air in.

You changed the wrong filter. Why don't you learn a thing or two about cars before you go cry wolf about a scam that didn't happen.

I work at a local quick lube shop and have worked at Jiffy Lube before. I can tell you that unless you drive a diesel truck or mercedes or some other kind of specialty or oddball vehicle that an engine air filter costs less than $20 installed at ANY lube shop.

The cabin air filter costs anywhere from $40-$60 installed depending on the car, and as for the person that called the dealer and got a quote for $18 on the cabin filter, have fun when you get there and they charge a minimum hour labor to install it. At least that's what the local dealers around here in Central Florida do . . .

Also consider that you are always going to pay more at a place like Jiffy Lube that has convenience built into their price point as well as quality products like Shell, Pennzoil, CAMS2, etc. Maybe your check engine light is on? every quick lube I have ever been to or heard of will check it for free and do a diagnostic. Have fun paying $89.99 at Tire Kingdom or Sears or the dealer for the same service that takes 3 seconds to do with a scanner that costs less than $200.

The moral of the story is that any shop will rip you off and some Jiffy Lube shops do it too. But for the most part, local small shops and Jiffy Lube stores are going to be your best bet. Anyone that thinks the dealer is your best bet . .

well, have fun. Usually they're the worst as far as getting ripped off or paying too much.

to Chris Wentzville, Missouri, United States #765179

The cabin air filter in our car is located behind the glove box. It takes not more than a minute or two to change it so to pay for an hour's labor would be ridiculous. Best to buy the filter online for a few dollars and install it yourself.

They showed me someone else's cabin air filter full of dirt and leaves. I declined the change, but asked if they could just blow it out, since it was in hand.They said it was against policy.

Yesterday I went to change it myself and the filter had NEVER BEEN REMOVED before! I know because there is a plastic piece that is destroyed on removal the first time the filter is serviced. It was intact.

I was furious and went there this morning. I challenged them to show me my filter, of course they could not!

Its not really a rip off if they ask you if you want the filters changed. You say yes or no, doesn't matter what the price is.

It is a service that they are providing. Most lube shops do charge extra because its parts AND labor.

:cry :zzz

Well.... As far as the scams go, try to avoid them and make sure to report them.

Every formal complaint counts. As far as prices go. Of freaking course Walmart is going to be way cheaper. However Fram filters are absolute junk.

They fall apart and they have no moisture resistance. If you really must buy your own air filter get a parts store house brand. Wix is a pretty good name brand. If you really really want to protect yourself from buying service you don't need then study your owners manual.

It has all the service intervals and most manuals leave blanks or boxes to check when you do the service. I personally would never go to or work at jiffy lube. There are some good ones and bad ones. Good people and bad people.

But their cooperate ethics are ***. Best places are locally owned quick lubes. They are more expensive on oil change prices but very competitive on most other things. Most times they are very honest because they cant afford to lose business.

As far as customers go. There are a lot of rude peaces of ***. But I don't take there *** anymore. I will be a huge *** back if they start *** with me.

They usually back off or apalogize. They dont realize you're a human till you act like them.

Just quotes $178 at Jiffy for oil change and two air filters. Have 2011 Hyundai Tuscon and told cabin filter is $59.

That the 'new' ones are way more now, and its the same as dealer. Called dealer and the cabin filter is $18.

So pissed off, they just lost a regular. I'll find any other quick lube, or goto dealer next time.

Now that I read this I am noticing that EVERY place I have my car serviced including the dealer service shop and other brand name lube shops - all of them - are pretty consistent about showing and changing the cabin filter. I am going to get a bit more careful about what I approve.

Maybe mark my filters. If these are honest people (they seem to be) I am happy to change out the cabin (and other) filters.

They tried to do the air filter thing to me as well, but fortunately I know how to check and change both air filters on my car, so I didn't fall for it. I imagine lots of people fall for it though, especially if they are afraid of messing with their cars.

Your Car has two air filters, one for the AC and one for the engine. You likely bought an air filter for the engine, and the guy showed you the air filter for the heating and air conditioning system.

It sounds like YOU don't know what you are talking about, because the air filters for the air conditioning system are about 25 dollars at wal mart, so you would have paid only a few dollars to not get your hands dirty. A small price to pay considering neither you or your husband know where it is on the car.

Your lack of knowledge does not make this a rip off, it just makes you look uneducated.

The associate even stated it ewas the filter for the air you breathe. Did your husbad buy what is called a "Cabin air filter" probably not.